Tuesday, July 10, 2012


On the way to the hospital


Ruthie working the buttons on the bed - she quickly figured out how to get someone to say on the intercom in our room ~  "May I help you?" (nurse's station)  I asked if they thought a crib would work better for Ruthie, considering she was only two and NOT going to stop pushing the buttons.  They felt like a crib would upset her ~ yes, after this wonderful toy I am sure a crib would disappoint her.

We handed Ruthie to the surgical team around 8:45 am. We just got word from the OR that they started surgery. Skip and I do feel a tremendous peace. We handed Ruthie to a woman with a silly hat wearing scrubs. As they rounded the corner and left our sight there is a bigger than life size photo of three of the surgeons. She was very distracted by their large heads. We spent about 30 minutes with the nurse who will hold her after surgery. Her name is Bobbie and she loved Ruthie. She goes every year to Belize with a medical mission team - Skip and I loved hearing about her trips. Bobbi has a very gentle spirit. As we were walking to the room outside of the OR a staff person asked if we had molds made of her feet for a special reminder. I love Ruthie's twinkle toes and I am so grateful she will one day be able to see them. Once Ruthie is sedated, they will put her feet in the plaster. Such a sweet gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment