Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Post-Op

From a distance I saw a little girl on a bed being wheeled down the hall. It was Ruthie being taken to her room. I took off leaving Skip at the ATM. Feeling a little bad knowing Skip would turn around and be confused by my sprint down the hall, I turned around and gave him the news. By the time I got to her room, the door was closed. I knocked and was told to wait just a little while so they could get her settled. I could hear her crying. After what seemed like 20 minutes, probably only 5, I was able to enter the room. As the nurse passed she said, "I love a girl who's got some fight". Ruthie was mad and fighting to get every tube OFF. She was lifting her back and crying as hard as I have ever seen her. They told us she was doing the same thing in recovery. It is called casting anxiety. Nothing would console her as all the machines she was hooked up to began to loudly beep. I tried to hold her and that awkwardly worked for about 1 minute. I was afraid to hold her. I was fighting back tears when the pain management nurse walked in and explained that Ruthie would be mad for awhile (who wouldn't be with their legs bent stretched out to the side with a bar holding them firmly apart.). Just in case she added more medicine to her epidural and went and got a big red Radio Flyer wagon, stacked some pillows in it, unhooked some of the monitors and pulled back the blankets covering Ruthie. I cannot describe the hurt when I saw the end of her casts. Her feet are really gone. Anyway, she scooped Ruthie up and told Skip and me to walk the halls with her. I pushed the cart holding the IV bag and the epidural. Skip pulled the wagon and Ruthie very quickly became content. After about 30 minutes of walking, Ruthie fell asleep around 2:30. It is 4:00 and a severe storm is over us right now. Skip and I are waiting for Ruthie to wake up.

4 comments:

  1. Prayed for you all day today. I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well. I remember the red wagons from our hospital stay - they're a lifesaver. We'll keep up the prayers - you're all so brave - especially Ruthie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally back in the land of internet. PRAYING for you as you walk these precious first moments and hours. It will get better. These first days are the hardest and just know...she WILL be ok. It's just around the corner now. Praying praying praying---don't forget to eat and drink yourselves...you need strength too...just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. asked God for verses for you and for ruthie - this is what He shared...

    Ephesians 3:14-19(MSG) "My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God."

    love you guys. praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful to read that Ruthie's surgery went well. Lifting you all up in prayer as she recovers.

    ReplyDelete